[KPhotoAlbum] Another patch...

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jul 6 22:54:31 BST 2006

Do people want me to keep posting these incrementally?

This patch includes everything from my previous patch set plus:

1) New options to skip forward and backward by 10, 100, and 1000
   images.  This was inspired by our 3500 photos from Alaska that
   we're trying to categorize.  We did some of them last night, and I
   want to restart in the middle (I know where we left off, but it's a
   pain to find it in the thumbnail view and then select everything
   from that point on).

2) The image box now displays the file name.  I find it a real pain
   not to be able to see the image/filename in full screen view, which
   is normally what I use.

I'm thinking of a few other changes:

1) Adding flags to the ImageRequest to allow specifying scaling
   options.  For example, I'd like to have an option to not scale an
   image up (or not scale it down) in order to speed up viewing.
   There's no sense in scaling up a small image at load time (and
   thereby consuming more memory) if it's going to be displayed
   pixel-by-pixel.

2) Optimizing the viewer to not reload an image but to use it out of
   the cache if possible.  It should be possible to use it out of the
   cache if the desired resolution is not greater than the actual
   resolution of the cached image.  For example, if the cached image
   is 1600x1200, and we want to shrink the displayed image, there's no
   reason to reload it at that point.