[KPhotoAlbum] Videos

Nicolas M. Thiery nthiery at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 26 13:42:48 GMT 2006

> Many photo cameras can also take small videos.  I think it would be
> useful (for me at least) to organise them with kphotoalbum.
>
> I would see it like this: the first photo of the video sequence is shown
> in the thumbnail view and its timestamp is used (I imagine that jpeg
> frames of a video have exif informations, please correct me if I am wrong).
>
> Motion-jpeg is used with my Canon A95.  I know, a plugin to read various
> video formats would maybe be necessary. :o(

YES, I second this!

Maybe a simple way to implement this in Kimdaba, without cluttering it
with dependencies on zillions on file formats, video plugins, codecs,
and so on, would be to just add an extension hook where the user could
specify how to handle unknown file formats by providing appropriate
command lines to (1) generate a thumbnail (2) start a viewer. I
typically would use something like:

 .avi:  thumbnail: mplayer -nosound -vo jpeg -frames 1 -vf scale=%x:%y %i; rm 00000002.jpg; mv 00000001.jpg %o

Where for example %x / %y are the dimensions of the thumbnail, and %i
/ %o are the names of the input and output file, and %r is the
rotation.

Yes, sorry Jesper, this is yet another configuration thing. But for a
well delimited price, any user coming up with a new format of picture,
video, or in fact whatever other file he would like to handle with
Kimdaba could do so by himself (it just occurred to me that I could
use Kimdaba to organize the 500 scientific articles in
ps/pdf/dvi/... I have on my laptop).

Of course, the natural supplement to this feature would be a page on
kimdaba's wiki where users could share their preferred command lines.

I am ready to contribute 15$ for this feature (not that much, but I am
just a casual Kimdaba user). Anyone else?

Best regards,
					Nicolas
--
Nicolas M. ThiƩry "Isil" <nthiery at users.sf.net>