[KimDaBa] New snapshot with improved thumbnail viewer

havoc havoc at harrisdev.com
Thu Jan 12 16:39:55 GMT 2006

Robert L Krawitz wrote:
>    From: "Jesper K. Pedersen" <blackie at blackie.dk>
>    Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 10:15:08 -0500
>
>    Its all about a matter of priorities. Things takes time.  If I
>    change the background color, then I also need to change the color
>    of the lines, and the color of the shadow lines.
>
> Quite honestly I don't care about the lines, and I certainly don't
> care for the shadow effect at all.  In any event, there are
> KDE-supplied colors that you can use for this purpose (window frame
> colors, for example).  Take a look at the Colors pane of the KDE
> control center.  FWIW, note that the "Widget Color" box has a line and
> a shadow line around it; those colors are resources, not hard coded.
>
> I'm not asking you to put special configurability into kimdaba for
> this; I'm asking you to honor the system colors.

As a matter of philosophy (mine, not yours), a programmer should never
override system settings (i.e. color choices/settings, fonts, etc.).
This is actually a usability concern. When you override system settings
(especially in the case that using them is the default), you break the
user's experience by breaking their expectations.

>    Tell me why you need the labels at all, please.
>
> I guess the most important reason is that if I want to e. g. copy an
> image into another program or another directory I need to know its
> name to find the file.  Popping a viewer takes time, particularly for
> a large image, and it hides all of the other thumbnails.  It's a lot
> faster for me to look at thumbnails and say "I want img_8242.jpg,
> img_8247.jpg, and img_8250.jpg".

Removing the filenames from either the thumbnail view, or the
single-image viewer (as it was in the bad old days), greatly reduces the
usefulness of Kimdaba for me.

Kimdaba never actually sees my original images. I use kimdaba as a
catalog, then pull my "negatives"/originals from a separate tree for
working with them. This is largely due to the fact that I've been
shooting RAW since long before you started supporting RAW, but I also
find it to be an extremely good system for me. So, filenames are an
essential part of kimdaba's usefulness for me.

jody
--
http://www.RealizationSystems.com/ -- start communicating
http://www.GalacticSlacker.com/ -- read it and weep