[KPhotoAlbum] kphotoalbum reads the wrong date from EXIF

Marco Molteni molter at tin.it
Tue Feb 28 20:28:00 GMT 2006

Hi (Jesper you are a shiny apple),

I am using kphotoalbum-snap-2006.01.28.
By looking at the EXIF specs (http://exif.org/specifications.html), there are 3 timestamps:
Image.DateTime          -- time of last modification to the image
Photo.DateTimeOriginal  -- time of the creation of the original
Photo.DateTimeDigitized -- time of digitization of the original

seen in another way:

DateTimeOriginal <= DateTimeDigitized <= DateTime

I believe the right timestamp to consider is DateTimeOriginal, with fallback to other
two in case DateTimeOriginal is not there.

On the other hand, by changing those 3 fields in a test file using the exiv2 command
line utility, I found two bugs in kimdaba:

1. it seems that kimdaba looks for DateTime instead of DateTimeOriginal.
   To test: clear the DateTime field in a file, kphotoalbum will not give a date to the file

2. strange mix of date and time: set the date only (not the time) in the DateTime
   field: kphotoalbum will load the date from the exif field and the time
   from the file timestamp.

marco
--
He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself
without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine,