[KPhotoAlbum] Improved image viewer?

Jason Kivlighn jkivlighn at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 22:35:40 GMT 2006

I've been using KimDaBa/KPhotoAlbum for years now, and I just love it.  I'm
always disappointed when I see side-by-side comparisons of various photo
managers with KPhotoAlbum left out.  It definitely deserves more attention
for it's innovation.

But of course, I have a gripe.  I've always felt that viewing images
full-size isn't very convenient.  I open an image in the viewer and it pops
up in a new window (which covers the main window).  Since it has covered the
main window, I have to close it before selecting another image, just for it
to reopen again to view the next image.  It's just annoying and clumsy to
view photo by photo, with each popping up in a separate window.

If I select multiple images to view, I can only go forward/back, rather than
arbitrarily viewing one of the selected images.  On my system, it is
painfully slow to keep hitting next to skip to a particular photo.

Something as simple as this would be perfect:
http://www.digikam.org/?q=system/files&file=images/im012.preview.png

where selected images' thumbnails are displayed along the bottom (or
left/right).  The less-intrusive "fix" is to extend the viewer to work like
the showFoto screenshot when multiple images are selected for viewing.
Another route would be to turn the main window view into the describe
interface, but something tells me there'll be plenty of objections to that
;-)  Or maybe there could even be another view embedded in the main window.
I'd personally prefer a solution that didn't require a separate window to
view the images.

With some developer/community feedback, I'd love to try hacking this
together and submitting a patch.  I've got all of the Christmas break to
play with it :-)  I'd love for the opportunity to give back for your
excellent application.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Jason Kivlighn