[KPhotoAlbum] member groups

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+gmane+kimdaba at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 21 10:18:08 BST 2006

Jesper K. Pedersen venit, vidit, dixit 2006-08-21 01:58:
> I have two questions for all of you out there.
>
> First, are anybody ever configuring their member groups from the settings
> dialog (in contrast to right clicking in the annotation dialog)? I really
> hate the member group config in the settings dialog, and want to delete it,
> if there are no big objections.

I used it quite a bit. The settings dialogue is very "visible". The
context menu in the annotations dialogue is something you have to find
first. So, if you get rid of the settings dialogue make sure people find
the context menu.

Also, conceptually: If there's no settings dialogue one would have to
annotate an image/video in order to manage member-group relationships.
In particular, one cannot set up those relationships before importing
the first objects...

> Second. Prior to the previous release one of the translators brought to my
> attention that "member group" is a weird name, so I'd like to come up with a
> new name for it.
> What I need are name for these items:
>
> The collection of all items for a given category. Currently I call this a
> category, so Persons, Locations and Keywords would all be categories. (I'm
> like this name, but category also seems to be a good name below).
>
> A name for the items that has sub items (currently I call these groups), thus
> USA would be a group as it has a sub item Nevada.
>
> A name for the leafs in the member groups (currently I call these members in
> the context of member groups). Nevada would be a member.
>
> The later two would conveniently be called Categories and Sub Categories, but
> this word would conflict the other use of the word category.
>
> Any thoughts?

As pointed out by others, the current naming scheme seems to emphasize
1st and 2nd level unnecessarily. I second the (relative) parent-child
terminology. In the context menu, instead of "adding as child/parent"
one might also choose "add above/below".

Note: Currently (meaning 2.2, not sure about SVN) a member group is
added automatically as a member of itself. <math joke>This is no problem
since you are using categories which can be classes, not only
sets.</math joke>
Seriously: This may need to change when using parent-child terminology...

Cheers
Michael