[KPhotoAlbum] splash screen masks dialog box

Sebastien Blondeel blondeel at clipper.ens.fr
Sat Apr 29 20:19:17 BST 2006

This is probably a bug (?).

I run kphotoalbum 2.2 from another machine using ssh -X. Local machine
is using fvwm.

Generally speaking, I don't like splash screens. I want to fire an
application, get the window positioned as soon as possible, and move to
another virtual desktop while the program is loading / computing /
setting up... OpenOffice.org is such a painful application: it will fire
up several windows. If I move to another virtual desktop after the
first, I will get the second and definitive one on the bad desktop when
the first window disappears. Sigh.

With KPA things get worse. The splash screen masks any starting dialog
boxes (eg.: "I have found a backup file .#index.xml# newer than your
actual index.xml file. Shall I use it? yes/no" --- but sometimes it goes
with version number of the file [do not ask again] or other things).

In such a situation I have
1/ to guess something like that is happening
   if the dialog box is not about the same size as the splash screen
   it is completely hidden and I really need inspiration and intuition
   Sometimes a border a couple pixels wide overlaps
2/ to fg/Ctrl-C the KPA presently running to kill it
3/ to *stand up*, put my slippers on, and *walk to the other room* (ouch!)
4/ from the KDE interface of this other computer, run KPA again. This time,
   the dialog box appears on top of the splash screen (wtf?).

So my request is: make it possible to deactivate the splash screen!

Thanks, :)