[KimDaBa] Rescan for images proposal

Marco Molteni molter at tin.it
Fri Oct 21 09:53:45 BST 2005

On Friday 21 October 2005 03:57, Robert L Krawitz wrote:

>    Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 20:34:25 +0200
>    From: Eugen Dedu <Eugen.Dedu at pu-pm.univ-fcomte.fr>
>    Cc: kimdaba at kdab.net
>
>    Marco Colnaghi wrote:

[..]

>    > 2001/
>    >     /010515_SeaTrip
>    > 2002/
>    >     /020712_SeaTrip2002
>    >     /020712_Mountain
>    > 2005/
>    >     /050811_Holidays
>    >     /050902_Friends
>    >     /051001_NewDir
>    >
>    > When I add the new subdir 051001_NewDir in 2005 dir I should not
>    > need to rescan all the tree, I would like to rescan 2005 subtree
>    > only.
>    >
>    > Thanks for you opinions,
>    > bye, Marco.
>
>    Your feature adds complexity.  IMHO, I think it's not necessary,
> since you execute rarely kimdaba with new images.  The most
> frequently you execute it without new images.
>
> That depends upon individual usage patterns.  If you're an active
> photographer, you might be adding images multiple times per day.
>
> This feature could also be useful as a way of adding new directories
> to the collection (currently kimdaba can only handle images in a
> single directory tree).

I agree with Robert.

Another possibility to speed up rescanning without the need to have
another dialogue window is to add the possibility of rescanning
looking only at directory dates. Let me explain:

I assume that the most of time in rescanning is due to the fact that
you might have a *lot* of files, and a subset of those files must
be read to calculate the md5 signature. It this is true, one might
use as workflow the convention that new files are added to new
directories, say a new dir is created automatically each time that
you download images from the camera.

In this case, the rescanning algorithm could look at the date of the
lest time kimdaba run, and only at the date of each directory in the
whole directory tree, and rescan only the directories with newer
dates.

So you would have to rescan modes:
-rescan as usual (with today's semantics)
-rescan new dirs only

marco