[KimDaBa] new feature: hierarchical categories/groups editor?

Martin Höller martin at xss.co.at
Wed Oct 19 08:32:23 BST 2005

On 19 Oct 2005, Eivind wrote:

> On Tuesday 18 October 2005 22:32, Marco Molteni wrote:
>
> > My suggestion is: the groups/categories relationship is a tree or
> > maybe a graph. It would be VERY useful to have a graphical browser
> > of those relationships. Assuming they were a tree, something
> > equivalent to the bookmarks manager of a web browser.

I've suggested this some time ago. It is point 2) in this mail:
http://mail.kdab.net/mailman/pipermail/kimdaba/2005-September/001372.html

> They're not a tree, so that would sadly not work. One leaf can belong to
> several different branches.

Actually i didn't think about this.

> Assuming we did control that no cycles exist in the graph, this could
> offcourse be worked around by letting those objects that are in several
> places in the tree appear in all of those places, sorta like how a
> hardlinked file appears in several places. For example if I have:
> (I use the notation > for "is member of")
>
> Eid > Westnorway > Norway > Europe
> Cottbus > Germany > Europe
> Eid > "Places I've lived"
> Cottbus > "Places I've lived"
>
> Then this could be represented as:
>
> Europe
> 	Norway
> 		Westnorway
> 			Eid
> 	Germany
> 		Cottbus
> Places I've lived
> 	Cottbus
> 	Eid
>
> Notice how Cottbus and Eid appears two different places.

This looks quite good to me. You got my vote for this feature!

- martin

--
    mailto:martin.hoeller at xss.co.at  | Microsoft is not the answer.
http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e9926483  |  Microsoft is the question.