[KimDaBa] Kimdaba 2.1 feedback

Vincent Picavet Vincent.Picavet at inria.fr
Wed May 11 09:05:06 BST 2005

Hi !
I installed Kimdaba 2.1 yesterday with the debian package found here :
http://www-gsi.dec.usc.es/~dave/projects/kimdaba/kipi.html
After a quick tour of this new version, I have some remarks and
suggestion of improvement.

First of all, Thanks David for the Debian package, it installed and
worked without any problem. Hopefully this package will enter sid soon.

Next, some remarks, as it comes :

o Version used : Kimdaba 2.1 from the debian package, french version.

o Loading dates from EXIF informations does not work. I don't know why.
EXIF informations are OK in my pictures (seen with GQview). I followed
the steps indicated on the dialog box alerting me that my images were
not sorted. But without result.
When using the plugin "adjust datime" to set the file time and date to
the EXIF timedate, it works.

o Displaying thumbnails is quicker and more convenient than with version
2.0

o search by date is not synchronized with datebar. When doing a search
with the search by date dialog window, I expected it to set a selection
in the datebar, but it is not the case. It is quite confusing, since it
gives the users two different ways of restricting dates which do not
have the same result.

o The datebar
- The datebar is useful and convenient, but could still be improved,
IMHO.

- Most annoying thing with it : choose a selection in the datebar,
display the thumbnails of this selection, for example one hundred
pictures. Now if you click on the datebar in the blank area, no more
date restriction is active, and every pictures are displayed as
thumbnails, and the application freezes for a long time.

- The french translation of the dates at the bottom is wrong :

- what is this red square around the bar for and why is it sometimes
yellow ? I could not manage to find its utility.

- double clicking on a bar could set the selection to this, and zoom to
the considered period in the datebar.

- I restricted the dates with the datebar, displayed the thumbnails and
then scrolled down with the mouse wheel. When doing this, I scrolled the
thumbnail window down, but the datebar scrolled from right to left
meanwhile. The same when I scrolled up just after.

- It lacks a "unselect" button to have an intuitive way of unrestricting
the time period.

o kimdaba survey lacks some translations. To send results, it searches
for kmail by default, and does not propose to use another mail software
if kmail is not available..

o I experienced one segfault, unreproduceable for the moment.

o One thought : Why not organizing a contest for a new splashscreen ?
Having an option to disable it would be cool as well.

Ok, that's all for the moment. I'll send other remarks when I'll have
used this new version a bit more.

Thanks again for your job jesper and the others.
cheers,
Vincent

--
Vincent Picavet,		Tel : +33 (0) 1 39 63 52 14
INRIA Rocquencourt,		E-mail : vincent.picavet at inria.fr
Projet CLIME			http://www-rocq.inria.fr/clime