[KimDaBa] another feature request

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sat May 7 01:53:54 BST 2005

   From: Eivind <ekj at zet.no>
   Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 16:48:42 +0200

   For example, at work we've got a large image-database. It is
   *VERBOTEN* to change, in any way, images stored there. We ensure
   this in practice by having it exported read-only from a
   NFS-server. It is however allowed to change the tagging of the
   images, infact several different people are allowed to do
   this. We've fixed that by symlinking the xml-file to a file on a
   read-write file-server where the people with tagging-permission are
   members of a group with read-write on the xml-file, whereas all
   others have only read on the xml-file too.

OK, this is completely convincing.  I agree with you about images are
read only; I hadn't thought about directories, but you're quite
correct.

(A few months ago I had an argument with some of the GIMP folks about
a proposal to always ask what to do when opening an image if the EXIF
rotation were something other than 0.  One of the developers commented
"what, you don't automatically use exiftran to clear the rotation?"  I
explained as patiently as I could that I *never* edit original
images.)

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton