Fwd: Re: [KimDaBa] I'm giving up on the SQL backend - unless you can help one way or the other

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Mon Jul 18 21:21:27 BST 2005

Forward to the list as this might be of interest to other people

Subject: Re: [KimDaBa] I'm giving up on the SQL backend - unless you can help
one way or the other
Date: Monday 18 July 2005 22:20
From: "Jesper K. Pedersen" <blackie at blackie.dk>
To: havoc <havoc at harrisdev.com>

On Monday 18 July 2005 18:41, havoc wrote:
| Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
| > For many month I've been working on making it possible to use a SQL
| > backend for kimdaba. This has changed from being fun to being something
| > which is dragging energy out of me.
|
| This is bad! Bad, bad, bad!

Right, actually mostly bad for people who wants to use kimdaba commercially
with large (as in 100.000 images db), which is why I put out the offer to
"employ" me for the job.

| > In Danish we have a saying that at some point you gotta stop putting good
| > money into saving bad money. Which is the point I've reached now. This is
| > the point where I either stop with this now, or KimDaBa will likely not
| > survive.
|
| In America, we say, "throwing good money after bad."

Heh, actually that is the exact Danish saying ;-)

| Jesper, just a thought: What about creating an API, and letting third
| parties create their own back-ends at will? Is that even possible? If
| you come up with a working set of requests, and a standard for returning
| the information back to KimDaBa, then "anyone" could write a layer to
| interface with whatever backend they wanted to build. This 1) keeps you
| in control of kimdaba, and 2) relieves you of any non-kimdaba backend work.
|
| I have no idea what it would take to layer it on your end, but I thought
| it would be worth considering.

Well I've been working on this for a long time, and will keep it in kimdaba
for now. So it is already possible, it is not possible to do using plugins or
anything, but someone who wants to do this, can do it in a code tree where he
doesn't touch a single line for core kimdaba code.

Jesper K. Pedersen          |  Klarälvdalens Datakonsult
Senior Software Engineer    |  www.klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Prinsensgade 4a st.         |
9800 Hjørring               |  Platform-independent
Denmark                     |  software solutions