[KimDaBa] Reducing memory consumption

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jan 16 19:17:24 GMT 2005

   From: "Jesper K. Pedersen" <blackie at blackie.dk>
   Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:09:30 +0100

   I'm afraid that I can't apply this patch.  I need to detach
   otherwise there might be a race condition between the two threads
   for the reference counter for the QImage.  I changed the code so it
   will detach right after putting the image in the ImageEvent, this
   will hopefully resolve the issue, and will ensure that the image is
   not copied an extra time when taken out of the event in the GUI
   code.

So that's still going to force a copy?  That's unfortunate, since it's
a huge chunk of VM.  There's no way to lock the image?

   Please CVS up, and let me know if the change result in any crashes
   in the image loading code.

I did; there was no change (does it take time to propagate to the
public CVS?)

   I'd rather not spent to much more time on this issue, as it will be
   resolved in Qt4 where the race condition is resolved in Qt
   internally.