[KimDaBa] Profiling Kimdaba startup

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Wed Jan 5 17:58:55 GMT 2005

When I teach Qt courses I always teach people to make simple things simple,
and never optimize without having done proper profilation first.

A long time ago, I was having the trouble that kimdaba was to slow during
browsing, and I thought to myself, "hmm that gotta be because I keep
everything as string, and does a lot of string comparisons during browsing".
Fortunately I remembered what I teach, and profiled things, and it turned out
that making one single QStringList static, and emptying it over and over
again costed 80% of the time - string comparison didn't even show up in top
10 of time wasted.

So changing things to hash keys would gain me no speed whatsoever. I might
save a few bytes of memory, but I doubt that anyone here would even notice.

And for the files. Maybe things would parse a bit faster, but editing the
files by hand in case kimdaba did something bad, might very likely be much
harder.

I'm pretty proud about how bug free kimdaba really is - sure it has its bugs,
but nothing real bad. I believe this is because I strive towards very easy to
read code, and avoiding to hash strings is one of the things that keeps is
simple.

Hope that clarifies things.

thousands of images?

http://ktown.kde.org/kimdaba might be the answer.