[KimDaBa] Profiling Kimdaba startup

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Tue Jan 4 12:52:56 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 13:48, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
|    From: "Jesper K. Pedersen" <blackie at blackie.dk>
|    Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 09:06:30 +0100
|
|    On Tuesday 04 January 2005 09:01, Eivind wrote:
|    | On Tuesday 04 January 2005 07:46, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
|    | > Robert, thx for your profiling.
|    | > As it looks now, I can't see that there are any thing else I can do
|    | > to speed up things, except rewritting to a real database.
|    | >
|    | > Rewritting to a real db would be a huge job, and currently I dont
|    | > see it worth it to save at most 2.5+1=3.5 secs. People with 50.000
|    | > images might disagree, but we aren't really there yet
|    |
|    | I agree with this. Spending lots of time to change to a "real db"
|    | isn't likely to deserve being on the top of the priority list at
|    | present. Though I do think that keeping the thougth is a good idea,
|    | for example in trying to not needlessly further complicate a later
|    | switch.
|
|    Sure, I've done so from the very start.
|
| The startup code doesn't appear to be very complicated.  It would be
| interesting, as an exercise, to replace it with code using mxml (a
| light weight XML parser).
At some point I tried replacing the DOM parser with a SAX parser, and after a
long night of work I gave up. One thing is the parser, the second thing is
that you need to restructure the internals of kimdaba too.

|    | > (at least that is not what I hear from most kimdaba users), and once
|    | > we are there, computers are likely so much faster that the 25 secs
|    | > has gone done.
|    |
|    | This however, I disagree with.
|    |
|    | A real db migth bring faster startup-times, which is important
|    | for people with humongous collections of pictures. I think this
|    | group of people is going to grow very quickly as the years with
|    | digital cameras pass. I know that my picture-collection grows by
|    | atleast a couple of thousand images a year, and I'm probably not
|    | the only one.
|
|    See here I kind of disagree, Even with 2000 images per year, you
|    will spent 12.5 year to get to 25000 images, by the computers will
|    be able to read a billion image database (in its current XML
|    format) in a fraction of a second.  But as I said before, lets see,
|    if a huge amount of users get databases which are this size, I will
|    reconsider.
|
| 2000 images per year isn't very many.  I'm not a professional, and yet
| I shot 5000 images this year without even trying very hard.  I don't
| think computers (and storage) will get that fast for single data and
| instruction streams any time soon; the recent trend seems to be more
| toward multi-processing chips to improve system performance.  However,
| I do think that if you set 50K images to be a reasonable target, then
| current machines can handle it without great difficulty.
Lets just agree that for the time being we will just monitor the situation,
and once a lot of kimdaba users complain, I'll have another look. In the
meantime I'll waste my sparetime on other cool topics like the datebar
improvement ;-)

|    | Secondly, startup-time ain't the only reason a real database can
|    | be desireable. Another reason that in certain setting is atleast
|    | as important is multiuser-functionality. With a real database it
|    | should be possible for more than one person to work against a
|    | single image-archive. This is a showstopper for basically any
|    | professional or half-professional use where the users are more
|    | than a single person at a time. Similarily it should allow more
|    | fine-grained access-control since typical databases come with
|    | such built-in.
|
|    I agree with the multi user issue, but on that issue my point is
|    very clear - I'm not going to spent a single minute of my spare
|    time on developing features in kimdaba that only professionals gain
|    something from. If a picture company (or whatever such places are
|    called) are going to save a lot of time from kimdaba, they should
|    find their wallet fast, and I'll tell them my account number ;-)
|    Seriously, I hope that such people will see the quality in KimDaBa,
|    and start sponsoring features that are of special interest to them.
|
| That's fair.  Multi-user functionality is very specialized.  It's not
| clear to me how useful this would even be to most professionals
| running a studio with just a few employees.  It would be much more
| useful to much larger operations like National Geographic, with lots
| of photographers and editors, and there aren't a lot of those and they
| can afford to spend more on it.
|
| Making Kimdaba multi-user would require a lot more than simply a
| database back end.
yup :-)

thousands of images?

http://ktown.kde.org/kimdaba might be the answer.