[KimDaBa] Re: [Kimdaba-announce] New snapshot including the date bar available

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Sun Jan 2 16:40:05 GMT 2005

| A few comments:
|
| 1) The first row or two of thumbnails is jumbled.  This seems to be a
| problem with some thumbnails being vertical and some horizontal form
| factor.  I have about 5 horizontal shots, followed by 1 vertical,
| followed by more horizontal and vertical shots.  The thumbnails after
| the vertical shot are all displayed too low, so that they run into the
| second row.  Strangely enough, it appears to only be the first row
| that has this problem.
I'm having some trouble with the iconview, that I still try to resolve. If
this is still a problem for you in the next snapshot, please let me know.

| 2) Dates are always displayed in European style (DD/MM).  This should
| be taken from the locale; it's very confusing to me.  I found code
| like this:
|
|         return date(unit).date().toString( Qt::LocalDate );
|
| to be more to my liking (it uses ISO dates).
This is on my TODO list.

| 3) It would be nice to have an option to display 4-digit years (this
| is a personal peeve of mine).
well the problem is that the space is too little in the date bar to do this.

| 4) Feature request: clicking on (or selecting) a range from the date
| bar should narrow the view to cover only that range.  Thus, if I
| select the month of October 2004 it should reload the thumbnails with
| only those images.  It should also be possible for me to select a
| range from the date bar (not just a single date).  This would be
| particularly useful in category view; in thumbnail view, either
| restricting the view or selecting the images in question would work
| better (perhaps this would be a good user option, since it's likely to
| be strongly a matter of taste).
OK, I'll have a look at how I can use this idea.

| 5) It would also be nice to have a faster way to scroll the bar.
Faster in what way? I wonder if you found all the ways you can scroll it.
1) you can use the left/right arrows
2) you can grab the focus rectangle and drag that one.
3) you can grab the date part (the lower 50% of the datebar) and drag that.

| 6) Another possibility would be to have multiple date bars, with
| different resolutions.  I run my screen at 1600x1200, so maybe this is
| more practical for me than for others :-)
I wonder how usefull that would be in general.

| 7) The category for people is named "Personer", which is not an
| English word ("People" or "Persons" are correct).  This has been the
| case since the 12/07 snapshot.
ups, this was some debugging code I put in ages ago. Fixed now. Thanks.

| 8) Please remove the QT_MAX_IMAGE_SIZE code from both utils.cpp and
| imageloader.cpp, per my previous email (simply check the result of
| QImage::load() to prevent a crash).  It does somewhat work around the
| problem, but it's not the ideal way to do it (a better way to do it is
| to set this in the kdeglobals file).  It also makes it impossible to
| run a binary compiled on a SUSE system on a non-SUSE system.
Please see personal email on this issue.

| 9) At startup I get a message to search for images with incomplete
| dates.  However, the default option for Display Images with Incomplete
| Dates (search for images with valid date but invalid time) doesn't
| actually select the right images to fix up.
sure? How can you tell?
It seems to me that the EXIF loading code in previous versions of KDE was kind
of broken, so a lot of images have broken time stamps.

|    So far KimDaBa have had no need for your images to be sorted, but
|    the date bar works by far best if they are (Jumping to a given date
|    will show all images from that date). KimDaBa thus have a new
|    function to aid you in ensuring that all your images have valid
|    dates (which might be something as simple as 1998-2001). Once you
|    have given all your images a valid date, use the sorting function
|    from the Images menu to sort your images.
|
|    Previous versions showed the thumb nails of your images in folder
|    of 100 images per folder, but for the date bar to work, all images
|    are now shown in one folder. The previous setup was not by design,
|    but simply because I couldn't figure out how to avoid loading all
|    thumb nails at once. Now, fortunately I found out, so showing
|    10.000 thumb nails doesn't course your computer to load gigabytes
|    of memory. Let me know if you have a very good reason for re-adding
|    the folder view with each 100 images.
|
| I don't know how much I like this change, although it may simply be a
| matter of getting used to it.  It seems to work well if I'm in a large
| but restricted view, but not so well if I'm looking at all of my
| (6000+) images.  However, the memory consumption is now impressively
| low (97 MB -- times sure have changed -- is now "impressively low").
What exactly do you mean by not-so-well?
I can't see another way to enable the datebar to move around, than to show all
images in one view - at least not another simple way.