[KimDaBa] Import from camera

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Fri Oct 29 23:51:01 BST 2004

   From: Shawn Willden <shawn-kimdaba at willden.org>
   Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:32:29 -0600

   On Friday 29 October 2004 05:48 am, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
   > 1) I'm assuming that something recognizes the "usbcam" and matches it
   > against the device.  I prefer to use a card reader because it's a lot
   > faster than hooking my camera up (the card reader is USB 2.0, whereas
   > my camera is 1.1).

   I can see where that would be an issue when you're downloading RAW 6.3MP
   images with embedded large/superfine JPEGs!

Actually, I store a small/coarse JPEG with the RAW file.  No need for
both a decent quality JPEG and a RAW.

   > 2) I have multiple cameras (my wife's and mine) and want to import
   > them into different directories.  Any tips for distinguishing between
   > two cameras?
   >
   >    - ----------cut here---------------
   >    GROUP=camera
   >    if [ "${ACTION}" = "add" ] && [ -f "${DEVICE}" ]
   >    then
   >        chmod o-rwx "${DEVICE}"
   >        chgrp "${GROUP}" "${DEVICE}"
   >        chmod g+rw "${DEVICE}"
   >        sudo -u shawn /home/shawn/bin/got_camera.sh
   >    fi

   It should be easy to do.  Basically, you need to have the script
   figure out the model of the camera.  I can think of three ways:

I'd like to try to figure it out using a card reader rather than the
camera, if that's possible.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton