[KimDaBa] Import from camera

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Fri Oct 29 12:48:21 BST 2004

   From: Shawn Willden <shawn-kimdaba at willden.org>
   Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 00:17:42 -0600

   On Monday 25 October 2004 08:43 am, Vincent Picavet wrote:
   > I do exactly the same as you except that I run gphoto2 to get my images
   > using PTP directly from the camera, and "jhead -n -autorot *" to
   > rename/rotate images according to exif informations.

   I do pretty much the same as you, except I automate it all through
   hotplug so that just plugging my camera's USB cable into my laptop
   (and turning on the camera) does it all automagically.

   To do it I created (actually copied and tweaked, but whatever) a file
   in /etc/hotplug/usb.  The file is called "usbcam" and contains:

Nifty.  Two things:

1) I'm assuming that something recognizes the "usbcam" and matches it
against the device.  I prefer to use a card reader because it's a lot
faster than hooking my camera up (the card reader is USB 2.0, whereas
my camera is 1.1).

2) I have multiple cameras (my wife's and mine) and want to import
them into different directories.  Any tips for distinguishing between
two cameras?

   - ----------cut here---------------
   GROUP=camera
   if [ "${ACTION}" = "add" ] && [ -f "${DEVICE}" ]
   then
       chmod o-rwx "${DEVICE}"
       chgrp "${GROUP}" "${DEVICE}"
       chmod g+rw "${DEVICE}"
       sudo -u shawn /home/shawn/bin/got_camera.sh
   fi

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton