[KimDaBa] Re: newbie

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at kde.org
Mon Jan 12 21:12:53 GMT 2004

First of all, please send mailing list mails to
kimdaba at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se not to the -owner address.

David Wallis <dandewallis at serv.net.au> writes:

| Hi
| I am running Mandrake 9.2 with KDE revision 3.00.00 I have been using the
| Linux system for about a year and am still very much feeling my way.
|
| I downloaded kimdaba-1.0.1.tar.gz, arked it to user/tmp then configured and
| made it. The exe file is in user/tmp/ kimdaba-1.0.1/kimdaba
|
| When I type in kimdaba I get a Welcome box offering Load demo or Create my
| own database.
|
| I click on demo and get  Unable to open '' for reading. I click on ok and
| the box closes leaving QFile::open: No file name specified
I'm pretty sure you forgot to do a make install.
If you do not want to install in the default place, then configure using
--prefix, and the set the KDEDIRS environment variable to point to that
location.
Example:
./configure --prefix=/home/joe/mykde
make
make install
export KDEDIRS=/home/joe/mykde:$KDEDIRS

| So I repeat the process and select Create my own. Up pops ... KimDaBa
| requires that all your images etc and a window with ~/images. I have tried
| several combinations to point to my picture file which is
| /mnt/win_d/data/pictures
|
| The end result is a pop up window with KimDaBa was unable to load a default
| setup which indicates an incorrect installation
|
| The final pop up is error in file /mnt/win_d/data/pictures/images.xml No
| elements found
|
| I have looked for a How to install file without success
| Any suggestions appreciated.

Hope that helps.