[KimDaBa] timelines - ideas needed

Johan Viklund johan.viklund at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 09:51:57 GMT 2004

Ok, this is my braindump:

Zooming in time... that's what I want.

Interface proposal (to make it more clear, I dont have time to do a
mockup now, maybe this evening):

Fully inzoomed view:
   display a few pictures (10-20, they must fit on screen), it's the
   smallest timeframe.

Zooming out one level:
   remove half of the previous prictures from view and extend in both
   directions of time (say no to the arrow of time).

Witch pictures to display: preferably pictures with lots of tags but
also try to minimize the number of pictures with the same tags.
Preferrably all tags in the timeframe can be displayed, I think
keywords is the most important tag to distribute (persons won't work
that good (unless it's a person that shows up very rarly))...

Yes, that's it, try to display pictures with tags that have few
assignments... hmm, maybe not, might be tags that are oboleted also,
experimenting a bit and a good heuristic should do it, it's not
straightforward but should help.

Of course, the images has to be distributed fairly even in time, say
at least one picture from the beginning (of the interval) one from the
end, one in the middle and two more between those points.

When zooming out the thumbnails could get smaller.

hmmm... hope it makes sense :)

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 19:59:45 +1100, jedd <jedd at progsoc.org> wrote:
> On Thu December 9 2004 07:24 pm, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
>  ] I'll try once again.
>  ] Can we get ambition up here. DREAM MODE ON!
>
>  Meh! - you don't pay us enough to dream!  ;)
>
>  ] Here is an example:
>  ] I'd like a line where I could see samples from each period and how many images
>  ] was in that period. A period could be a day, a week, a year, 12 days, what
>  ] ever (some fancy way of dragging the mouse to zoom in out).
>
>  Okay .. the obvious problem is that graphical data doesn't scale down
>  well visually.  I know that's a truism, but that's what makes it an
>  inescapable limitation.
>
>  I think that idea you just mentioned could be interesting.  Something
>  like the width of the dialog box, 20-30 pixels high, but it'd be really
>  CPU expensive to work out the distribution dynamically as you change
>  the time frame, wouldn't it?
>
>  I guess if you're looking for an image based on date .. it's because
>  you can't work out some unique set of people / location / keywords
>  to narrow down your search to a viewable number of thumbnails.
>
>  I really like that idea of /dynamically/ showing the number of matching
>  images to the time-scale that you're selecting.
>
>  Extend that .. and as you select start/end times you also get shown
>  the number of unique keywords, people, locations, (and specials)
>  that exist in that time-frame.  If it's a manageable number, then some
>  place to show them in the dialog.
>
>  About a third of my photos live in sub-directories that are of the form
>  'yyyy-mm-dd description of event' -- and sometimes it's easier to do
>  a konq browse into the appropriate directory than go thru KimDaBa.
>  Not sure if other people do this -- but if they do, then the option to
>  also see the last leaf of the directory structure for each of the dis
>  that match the time-frame?
>
>  I don't approve of shortcut-bloat .. but maybe some way of searching
>  based on the time-frame nominated by selecting two images (from
>  thumbnail or full screen view).    Not sure how useful this would be
>  given you're likely looking at the image you want, by the time you're
>  in a position to select a 'start and end image' .. ?
>
>  Jedd.

Johan Viklund
E-post: <johan.viklund.0705 at student.uu.se>
        <johan.viklund at gmail.com>