[KimDaBa] Various questions

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Tue Dec 7 16:16:01 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 16:35, Vincent Picavet wrote:
| Hi,
| I looked for it but did not manage to find the info in the documentation
| (but perhaps it was just under my nose and I did not see it) :
| What is the keyboard shortcut for "next image" action in the "set image
| info one by one" window ? It is quite annoying having to take the mouse
| only to click the right arrow button...
pgdn.
Configurable in the image config page.

| I was also wondering about the following issue. The kipi-plugins are
| great to operate on images. But as far as I understand how it works, it
| is not possible to develop a plugin for kimdaba, that would be able to
| access the informations of an image, is it ?
Sure it is. I can't remember details tho.

| In this case, how is it possible to add "plugin" functionalities to
| kimdaba which make use of the info database ? As it couldn't be a kipi
| plugin, is there another plugin structure in kimdaba to achieve this
| goal ? Or do one has to directly code into kimdaba ?
you can do this using kipi plugins, which I would by far prefer you do.

| And finally, three ideas I dream of.
| The first one would be to be able to synchronize completely an "offline"
| kimdaba database with a Gallery website. The gallery kipi plugin is
| almost finished I think, but due to the problem I raised above,
| comments on image can't be shared between the online gallery and the
| application. Do you think it is a feature conceivable in a future
| version of kimdaba ?
I'm not the author of the gallery plugin, but I do believe it must also show
descriptions, otherwise file it as a bug on bugs.kde.org

| The second best feature I would like to see in kimdaba would be exactly
| what can be seen there :
| http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/images/CalendarView.jpg
| (taken from here :
| http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/overview.html )
| I find the Kimdaba 2.0 "search by date" window not so convenient. But
| I've seen that some improvement have been done recently in this dialog
| window, I'll try it before saying any further word on this topic ;)
|
| And the third point I would like to see is the ability to save
| searchs in a"favorite searchs" item in main window, thus giving the
| opportunity to very quickly access a set of images with complicated
| search parameters.
I did consider this a number of times, but can't really see when you would
like to do so at all.

| I know that one quite simple way to do this would be to do the search,
| and then tag all resulting images with a specific keyword. But this
| implies to repeat this step every time new images are added.
| Another solution for this would be a "automatic rules" feature. The user
| could set rules and choose to execute them on demand, or on addition of
| images.
| For example, I would like to have an automatic rule which executes "for
| all images where location is paris, add 'france' as a new location".
| It would IMHO be a very powerful feature!
For that you would use category groups instead. (Configurable from the KimDaBa
settings dialog)

| That's all for today, thanks for reading this :)
| Bye,
| Vincent

thousands of images?

http://ktown.kde.org/kimdaba might be the answer.