[KimDaBa] Re: RFC - seperating back and frontend

urs roesch urs at synthetik.ch
Sun Apr 4 05:35:04 BST 2004

Jean-Michel FAYARD [boulot.dodo at laposte.net] wrote:

> >> And I don't see kimdaba makes sense as a web service??
> >

> > Why not, I can think of a few cases. E.g. Instead of making seperate
> > pages for each event or person you took pictures of simply send them
> > a single URL. The page let's them see the photos you permission them
> > to see and they can download the ones they like. The big plus is that
> > compared to static output the user can do searching and limit the
> > output the same way you could do it in kimdaba. With all the keywords
> > and options that kimdaba provides, you can easily make something
> > better then all those web image repositories out there.
> <self advertisement>
> Something like what my humble javascript+html export does ?
>
> Demo with the same pictures as in KimDaBa's online demo :
> http://www.stud.uni-karlsruhe.de/~upaxe/Kimdaba/Kimdaba.html
> </self advertisement>

Yes it comes very close to what I mentioned above. Sadly, looking at the a.js I think it won't scale to what I envision. The file contains the indexing information for 24 images and takes up approx. 16k. To give you a real world scenario, it is not uncommon for me to shoot 200+ pictures per event. Actually just last weekend I took 279 pictures, putting them on the web using your javascript solution would result in a whooping 185k just for indexing. While I personally wouldn't notice because I have a speedy internet connection, people still using dialup to connect to the net would get rather annoyed. Guess it's time to implement some server-side solution. <rolling up sleves>

ciao,

--urs