[Konversation-devel] Fwd: Konversation and UserBase

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Mon Jul 25 18:22:04 CEST 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Konversation and UserBase
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 14:06:04 +0100
From: Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
To: Eike Hein <hein at kde.org>

I've made a start on getting pages into the translation system.  I made
quite
a lot of changes, and made notes as I went along so that you know what I've
done and why,  The notes are in the order that I met them - not implying
any
kind of priority :-)

* I have changed some markup to UserBase standard markup (much of which is
based on translator needs.
* Split sentences (with a link in the middle) can cause problems, so I will
have changed a few sentences so that the sense remains in the same
"message".
Technically you are correct to use something like "On
</translate>[[Special:mylanguage/Konversation/Scripts/Import_mIRC_server_list|
you
may find that our translators actually remove the tags there.  We have
had no
serious problems when expecting our translators to understand which part
is to
be translated, and our help documentation does explain it fully.
* If you link to a page section from a different page you may have to
insert
anchors such as <span id="Akonadi"></span> - see them in action in
http://userbase.kde.org/Glossary
* I love the key combination representation on Konverstion/FAQ, but the
documentation team require them to be marked with <keycap>.  Pity, but
if you
feel strongly about it, talk to Yurchor.  He knows the ins and outs of both
the wiki and the docu systems
* From experience we found that category statements and images should be
within the <translate> tags - the word "Category" is not translated, but
we do
have language-specific category pages.  Images sometimes have to be
replaced
by localised ones - think non-latin script languages.
* We use <menuchoice> for anything that requires the user to make a
choice -
even if it's not strictly from a menu
* ASCII smilies cause translation problems - they introduce "unbalanced
braces".  We use {{Smiley}} to get around that.  If variations are
needed we
can do that on request or you can make new templates yourself.

<quote>If you install '''kuick''' plugin from ''kdeaddons/konq-
plugins''...</quote> - does that need a url?

Talk on #kde-www if you have questions :-)

Anne