[Konversation-devel] Konversation's code hosting: It's going to move again

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Thu Jun 10 02:28:52 CEST 2010

Hi folks,

as you know, we moved Konversation to Gitorious.org partly to
help test the waters for the Git migration of KDE as a whole,
as the thinking at the time was that the rest of KDE was to
follow. However that always was contingent on KDE e.V. inking
a deal with Shortcut AS, the company backing Gitorious.org,
with KDE hosting its Git repositories itself as an alternative
if an acceptable agreement with Shortcut could not be reached.
It turns out, that's what has ultimately happened - no deal.

For the last two weeks the Sysadmin team (of which I've been
a member for a few months now) has been looking into how we
are going to set up the self-hosting, and we've now made pub-
lic a report on the setup we've decided we should run with.

The report has been posted to the kde-scm-interest list,
please have a look at this mail and its attachment:

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-scm-interest/2010-June/001438.html

We intend to keep the ball rolling at this point, i.e. turn
our test setup into the real deal and start migrating over
projects from Gitorious.org, again to test the waters and
shake out any issues. Since there is overlap between the
Konversation and Amarok dev teams and the sysadmin team,
so there's a high-bandwidth comm channel between them in
case of trouble, we've decided to move these two projects
over first, unless any of you voice strong objections.

Assuming there are no objections and we are moving ahead,
that means it will not be long before Konversation's Git
repository will move from Gitorious.org to KDE's own infra-
structure, at which point this list along with our website
and wiki will of course be updated with all the info as well
as instructions for how to reconfigure existing local repo
clones.

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein