[Konversation-devel] Question on the Blowfish algorithm by Paul Kocher

fatimapeter fatima.peter at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 23:51:19 CEST 2008

Hi there,
  I am new to the forum and very little background in security. I am trying
to encrypt a file using the openssl command with blowfish encryption and
trying to decrypt it using Paul Kocher's algorithm (blowfish_decrypt). If I
use the openssl commands both ways, it works fine (i.e the original file
before encrypt and the resulting file from decrypt compare OK.)

  Similarly, if encrypt and decrypt using the blowfish algorithms from Paul
Kocher, the original file before encrypt and the resulting file from decrypt
compare OK.

  However, if I encrypt using the openssl command like below (I have tried
different flavours of bf) and then use the blowfish_decrypt() to decrypt the
data, the resulting data is totally different from the original data.

openssl bf -e -salt -in file1.xml.gz -out file1.xml.gz.bf  -k Abracadabra
openssl bf-cbc -e -salt -in file1.xml.gz -out file1.xml.gz.bf  -k
Abracadabra

 I used a test function using blowfish_decrypt() (Paul Kocher's Blowfish
algorithm) using the same key
and I expected to get the original file back but the resulting data is
totally different.

Could someone tell me what parameters/options that I should use if I want to
encrypt using the openssl command and decrypt using Paul Kocher's Blowfish
algorithm.

Thanks,

Fatima