[Konversation-devel] replacement for IRCView

Fela Winkelmolen removeth1s_nimatar at gmail.com
Wed May 24 12:26:35 CEST 2006

Hello to all,
I was thinking to write the new IRCView widget for konvi4. Mostly my idea is
based on my Summer of Code proposal which I quote here:

"Project description:

Design and implement a replacement for the IRCView widget, with focus on
rendering speed even with thousands of lines of text.

The main features of the widget will be:
- based on Qt4/KDE4, the konversation port hasn't started yet, but it will be
possible to use the widget as soon as the port will start
- support for different kind of alignments, for example a la xchat (witch can
be accomplished by separating time, nick and message text in different
columns)
- support for different foreground/background colors, font and fontsize for
different parts of a line (timestamp, nick, message, highlined word, own
nick)
- theming support, making use of the previous functionalities
- log reader, possibility to read log files (with a configurable format using
regular expressions) rendering it in the same way as the real chat sessions
and being able to edit the logfile. This feature is also usefull to test the
widget untill the port of konversation is started, it may also be useful to
make a kpart out of this.

Additionally, supporting any other features that comes in mind and are
approved by the core konversation developers or suggested by them.

The work will be based on khtml, witch will be forked and stripped down, than
it will be optimized to render faster with very long texts and with dinamic
content if needed. At least this is the most promising idea, but I'll have a
look to the chat-text widget of other qtbased chat programs too(kopete,
kvirc, etc.)."

I've never done anything based on kde before, however I've done some very
simple projects with Qt4. I think this is a good idea to start with, as it
can be a standalone application (log reader), so I can initially develop it
locally, and I can make make mistakes without being afraid to break konvi and
I've understood that the port to KDE4 won't start very soon, so I have some
time to play with it, before it has to get merged with the official
konversation branch.

Fist I will have a look at the code of the current IRCView, of khtml, and of
other possible replacements. Then surely I'll have to ask some questions
here. And as soon as I have something usable I'll let you know, so maybe
somebody can put it somewhere on svn, or perhaps I can even ask for an
account, so that I can share my work in real time and whoever wants can give
me advice or help me. But that will be later...

Let me know if you have suggestions.

kind regards

-fela
(IRC: nimatar || unpofuori @ freenode)