[Konversation-devel] Addressbook nicks

John Flux johnflux at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 01:54:21 CEST 2004

Hi all,
  I'm posting from my hotmail account since I'm not at work.. I'll read
replies in the morning.

  In kopete, when you add an irc contact, it polls the server ever few
minutes to see if that person is online or not.

  In konversation, do we want it to do the same?  I can imagine people
wanting to link a large number of irc contacts to addressbook entries, and
it would be quite nasty to be polling the server for this large number of
contacts.  Especially since people will tend to have 4-5 irc nicks each (a
lot of people change their nicks, like johnflux, johnflux|away,
johnflux|work, johnflux|home etc).

  There are quite a few optomisations that can be done.  The lossless - only
polling people that aren't in any channels that you are in, and the slower -
the longer someone has been online or offline, the longer the gaps between
polling for them, up to say 15 mins.
  I could also keep note of which nick they use most, and just look for that
frequently, with the other nicks at longer intervals.

  Thoughts?

JohnFlux