D24805: Add ENABLE_CCACHE option (default=off)

Andreas Sturmlechner noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Oct 20 19:44:18 BST 2019

asturmlechner added a comment.

  In D24805#550880 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D24805#550880>, @hiangel wrote:

  > Do you have an example where having ccache on by default would cause a problem? When I asked what makes Konsole different from Mesa, libinput, etc, I was expecting to see an example.

  ccache is nothing new, you can imagine it will be a hot topic on a source-based distribution, so we have years of experience with it. Issues are mostly sandbox violations as are typically used for packaging builds, but also build errors, so much that on bug reports it is regularly demanded to rebuild without ccache.

  In D24805#550880 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D24805#550880>, @hiangel wrote:

  > Btw, I just figured that even if ECM agrees all packages should use `ccache` — what would happen then? I'm not sure that the task of adding `ccache` autodetection to all existing projects is that automatable. It would be a lot of merge requests, and who's gonna address review? And what to do if some requests were accepted, and then someone addresses review to modify the changes: what to do with already accepted code…?

  No, it can be as simple as getting it approved into `KDECMakeSettings.cmake` or `KDECompilerSettings.cmake`, whatever fits best, and after upgrade to an ECM version with your change every project already using ECM will automatically have the option available. And enabling or disabling that stuff will be a matter for the person or script running make, not by cluttering dozens of individual CMakeLists.txt files.

REPOSITORY
  R319 Konsole

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D24805