T10243: Some KDE applications could use better icons

Michel Ludwig noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Jan 2 07:31:16 GMT 2019

mludwig added a comment.

  In T10243#171551 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243#171551>, @ngraham wrote:

  > What is the original icon? This?

  Yes

  > F6520157: Screenshot_20190101_161226.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6520157>
  >
  > If so, that also violates the HIG which recommends against adding words to the icon, since it's not localizable. I agree that the Breeze version shouldn't look so different from the base icon though--whatever that base icon is.

  Well, Kile has had this icon since 2004-2005, if I remember correctly. Besides, I don't think that this rule really applies here since "Kile" is a name and not an arbitrary word, i.e. there should be no need to localize it (think of other product names like TeX, LaTeX, Unix, Linux, or Microsoft Windows, for example). Judging from Kile's Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kile, the name "Kile" has made it to Japanese, Chinese, and Russian already.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243