T10812: KDE Applications

Jaime Torres Amate noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Apr 19 09:21:54 BST 2019

jtamate added a comment.

  In T10812#182201 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10812#182201>, @ngraham wrote:

  > In T10812#182195 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10812#182195>, @aacid wrote:
  >
  > > > Apps that are in the bundle have inconsistent versioning; most use the bundle's own versioning scheme, but others use their own
  > >
  > > I personally disagree this is a problem. It let's applications hop on and off the release and keep their versioning number intact.
  >

  > I'm using Dolphin 18.12.3, which comes from KDE Applications 18.12.3. But the bundle also comes with Okular. Am I using Okular 18.12.3? Or Okular 1.6.3? The promo material says 18.12.3. The version number in my distro's packaging says 18.12.3. Discover, which uses the distro packaging metadata, says 18.12.3. But the About Okular window says 1.6.3. This is confusing and problematic from a user, packager, and promo perspective because it's not clear which version number they should use.

  What about an hybrid versioning system for the apps?
  Perhaps something like "Okular 1.6.3, distributed with KDE Applications 18.12.3", something that remarks that Okular has an individual release cycle, but this version comes from KDE Applications 18.12.3 bundle.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T10812