T10755: Unifying Applications' release versions

Alexander Potashev noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Apr 2 20:38:27 BST 2019

aspotashev added a comment.

  In T10755#180951 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10755#180951>, @huftis wrote:

  > So version ‘3.6’ can mean a number of different versions, each with its own sets of bugs and features.

  This can be fixed, for example I would suggest these approaches:
   A. Forbid reuse of the same version in different KDE Applications releases. If a maintainer didn't update app version since the last release, the release manager contacts him/her and asks to do something (maintainer may then change "3.6" to "3.6.1" or "4.0" or something else). If there is no maintainer, "3.6" becomes KDE_APPLICATIONS_VERSION (e.g. "19.04.0"): let's assume that if there is no maintainer, then nobody cares about versioning either.
   B. Similar, but in case of collision and lack of maintainers produce new version by incrementing the patch level digit, e.g. 3.6 -> 3.6.1 -> 3.6.2 -> ...

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T10755