T10755: Unifying Applications' release versions

Eike Hein noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Apr 2 19:10:48 BST 2019

hein added a comment.

  > Again you can't have a full list on the announcement with 215 names and version numbers, it's just not feasible.

  Sure you can. I don't see a big problem there. The announcement would have a categorized list of app names and versions being released on that day, and before it the usual "highlights in writing" extract.

  > What I don't think works is doing both

  Yes.

  > paints a picture of a chaotic, uncoordinated process in users' mind

  I don't necessarily think so. It's worth keeping in mind that having a unified version number for "KDE Applications" doesn't end the confusion, and we meet that confusion all the time. KDE still releases other applications with individual version numbers outside of KDE Applications. But very often I hear exchanges like:

  A: What version of Krita/Yakuake/etc are you on?
  B: YY.MM

  ... even though they're not released with KDE Applications at all. Unifying the KDE Applications version number won't fix that.

  Increasingly I think the only real fix is to go individual-for-all and change the public messaging to be around "Today is KDE apps release day" instead of "Today KDE apps YY.MM is out".

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T10755