D11258: Default to show tab bar only when needed

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Mar 13 17:06:09 UTC 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D11258#224844 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11258#224844>, @ahmadsamir wrote:

  > In D11258#224679 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11258#224679>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > Konsole is an app for Expert users, so I don't think not showing the tab bar by default is a problem. Experts know about tabs, use menus, use keyboard shortcuts, etc. And they typically really appreciate clean design. I anticipate that we will get some good press from design-ey polish changes like this. +1 from me.
  >

  > Expert users don't start out being experts, they start out as beginners and then maybe become experts later on. IMHO, defaults really cater more to beginners than to experts (who know how to customize the tools they've used on a daily basis for quite some time). Discover-ability matters to first-time users.

  I'm not talking about users who are Konsole experts, I'm talking about users who are Experts in a general sense: "Expert" with a capital E. i.e. people whose user profiles involve using menus, keyboard shortcuts, and the command line; looking for and using configure windows; understanding tabbed interfaces, etc. I 100% agree with you that good defaults are for beginners. But even a Konsole beginner is already an Expert user almost by definition, since terminal apps are (or should be) for Expert users only.

  For reference, GNOME-terminal and macOS terminal hide the tab bar by default, and don't seem to suffer any usability-related headaches as a result. Again, people who use Konsole are Experts will will appreciate this aesthetic improvement and have no difficulty using tabs if desired.

REPOSITORY
  R319 Konsole

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D11258