D12529: Paste dropped files and folders as text by default

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Apr 26 02:01:46 UTC 2018

ngraham created this revision.
ngraham added reviewers: Konsole, hindenburg.
Restricted Application added a project: Konsole.
ngraham requested review of this revision.

REVISION SUMMARY
  When a user drags a file or folder onto the Konsole window, by far the most common and likely thing they want to happen is for the path to that item appear in the window. This is what all other terminal programs I've ever used do by default. Konsole does not, and I suspect 99% of its users do not know that this setting can be turned off, as I did not know until I started digging through the code itself.

  This patch makes the paste-as-text behavior happen by default for new profiles. Super advanced users can re-enable the drag menu if they like it. For most Konsole users, I think not having it presents vastly better drag-and-drop usability and increases the speed of hybrid mouse+gui operations. As such, I believe this is an important change for {T6381}.

  I know changing defaults like this can be scary and controversial, but I really do believe that the "paste as text" behavior is what 99% of drags to konsole are intended for. It's not at all like Dolphin where a user may reasonably want to copy or link instead of move.

  FEATURE: 393523
  FIXED-IN 18.08.0

TEST PLAN
  Make a new user, open Konsole, drag a file or folder to the window; it's immediately pasted as text

REPOSITORY
  R319 Konsole

BRANCH
  paste-as-path-by-default (branched from master)

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D12529

AFFECTED FILES
  src/Profile.cpp