New feature patch to switch to alternate tab

Damien Tardy-Panis damientardypanis at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 23:30:47 UTC 2017

Hi,

Here attached is a small patch I just made to add the possibility to have a
shortcut to switch to the "alternate" tab.

You can also find it in my Github fork
https://github.com/tardypad/konsole/commit/598163bc051d08117479b0908d56e91e48820c01

The patch makes it easy to keep switching between 2 different tabs in a
konsole window, which I find to be really useful
For example when you need to keep switching being one tab for editing code
and another one to compile.
It's easier to have a dedicated shortcut for this purpose than having to
use the respective tab number shortcuts, since those change
(maybe at one point you need to keep switching between the edit/compile
tabs 1/2 and then between the deploy/test tabs 3/4)

The naming was a bit difficult given that there already are shortcuts:
- "previous" tab (visually previous in the tab bar list)
- "last" tab (visually last in the tab bar list)
so I called it "alternate" which I believe to be appropriate.

I initially thought a while ago shortly that this "Last tab" shortcut was
meant for this purpose ("go the Last visited tab") and thought it was buggy
:)

I've tested the feature with several configuration and usage:
- multiple windows
- split views
- many tabs
- selection of the "alternate tab" by mouse or shortcut
- no tab bar list
and it seemed to work fine to me.

As in my previous mail,
Let me know what you think and if you prefer me to send this patch as a
"bug" report in bugs.kde.org, or any other way.

Thanks

Regards,
Damien