Awesome Konsole feature: Ctrl-MMB to paste-with-newline, Stopped working.

Dan Wills gdanzo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 12:43:21 UTC 2016

G'day from Dan Wills,

I'm a gentoo+kde user (as well as centos/kde user when at work (at Rising
Sun Pictures)) from South Australia, hi! :)

I recently emerged ('built and installed', in gentoo-speak :P) a new set of
kde-things. I have finally made the transition to kde5, which has mostly
worked out great!  yaaay :).
I thought I was was migrating to kde5, many of the packages seem to be
labeled 16 point something in portage, but ..anyway.. .

This yielded me what portage calls: konsole/16.04.3, which seems to have
had some changes that I'm sorry to say, I'm not very keen on.

* Ctrl+MMB-Paste (The 'yank' buffer with Ctrl,) no longer adds the Newline
character like it used-to.
  (For me this was a KDE-super-feature that made Konsole particularly
awesome, maybe it could be re-enabled by an option?)
  (Previously, you could select some command text, not concern yourself
about whether there is-or-is-not a newline character in the selection, and
confidently/instantly commence this command's execution using Ctrl-MMB)

* After I paste, the pasted text now looks like it is selected in a
word-processor, with white background and black text.
  (Is the intention to look selected? is there some way to use this
selection? .. delete? backspace? nothing seems to operate on it.)
  (If there is no action that I can do with respect to the highlighting,
then I would personally rather have the option to disable it, as a
bright-background block is intensely distracting when looking at terminal
text.) Maybe there is some way I can theme-my-way out of this? without
ruining other bright-background theming?

A while ago I read some posts on a konsole-related thread about helping
improve execution-prevention for pasted text: It was talking about when
there are newline characters in the yank buffer, indeed that part
specifically seems to be different now where more-than-one-line stil
pastes, but waits for Enter/newline before running. I'd love to hear your
thoughts on where Konsole sits now with regards to that thread.

It sounds very sensible on its surface but I wonder whether some of these
problem-changes might be because of actions taken to try to resolve that
thread?

In fact I do agree that pasteing text that has lots-of-newlines should
probably be protected-against somehow (like an, 'are you sure'? dialog? ...
I have certainly pasted many multi-line fragments on occasion! (Even with
1+ newlines in the yank-buffer, on my system, I used-to almost-always still
hold Ctrl to make sure that the last line would run too!)).

I don't see why any of this should cause the removal (and not
re-enable-able by option) of your Ctrl-MMB-to-paste-with-newline feature!
Especially in the case where there are currently zero newlines in the
yank-buffer. (I do realize the yank buffer is more complicated than this,
but there must be better possible solutions?!)

I have cloned the git repo and built my own Konsole binary already, so if
this is something I could adjust the code and help with, I'd be more than
happy to try to contribute! :D

I don't want to do the wrong thing in your project either, so if you think
I might be able to help, then please educate me about how to connect with
the relevant people and processes.

All the best and I really do think that Konsole is an extremely good
shell-host! Very nice work to all of you! :D,
Dan