[Konsole-devel] styling the tab bar

Xen list at xenhideout.nl
Mon Aug 24 11:03:06 UTC 2015

Hey,

I'm in KDE4 in openSUSE 13.2

To my experience the default (Oxygen widget) doesn't really provide enough
contrast to see what tab you are on. Well, I was using GTK widget style
for a while, that made it worse. I was trying to style the tabs.

I discovered that there is more than just QTabBar::tab to style. However,
I can't really find out what.

Ife you style both:

- QTabBar::tab

and

- QWidget

without further specification, then the QWidget thing will apply to the
background of the tabbar. However, if you do not style the QTabBar::tab,
and only "QWidget" then the background you choose (for example) will also
apply to all the tabs.

I'm trying to create a bit of a contrast at present between the tabs and
their background in the tabbar, but I can't manage to keep the tabs intact
while styling the bauckground. Because I do not know how to specify the
tabbar.

I have tried:

QTabWidget::pane
QTabWidget::tab-baro

but both don't do anything.

It is rather difficult to get it the way you want, I'd say impossible. I
have been hunting through the source code for a while but gave up.

For example, the moment you style the tabs, a certain behaviour
disappears.

Normally text like "username at host: /dir/structure" is shortened to
"...ame at host: /dir/structure" when the text is too long/wide to be
displayed. But when you style yourself using .css (qss?) it no longer does
that and in fact text starts to be cut off e.g. if you use padding.

I haven't found the sourcecode to QTabBar and QTabWidget yet, but maybe
it's not important.

Right now I just want to give a different colour to the tabbar. But I
don't know how to select it.

Is there a way to select the tabbar in the .css file so as to style it
independent of the tabs?.... themselves?.

Regards,

Bart Schouten, NL.