[Konsole-devel] Suggestion to remove the --notransparency and --force-transparency options

Jekyll Wu adaptee at gmail.com
Thu May 10 21:04:39 UTC 2012

Hi, I have been think about those two options for a while, and I think
there is good reason to drop those two options.

Let's look at the --notransparency option first. Here is the commit
which introduced it :

     commit 5398f4c6c712dd9f8609561bf383ffa78a8a6e9a
     Author: Robert Knight <robertknight at gmail.com>
     Date:   4 years ago

         Make transparency support opt-out rather than opt-in.
Transparency can be disabled in an environment which otherwise suppo rts
it via the --notransparency flag at startup. This should save confusion
over why the transparency setting has no effect by default.  It was
opt-in originally because of problems with NVidia hardware in
particular.  Recent drivers apparently alleviat e the those problems to
some extent.

So at first it was --enable-transparency, later changed to
--notransparency with reverted purpose. The reason I would like to drop it :

    * The current code (see useTransparency() in MainWindow.cpp )
already tries to detect whether compositing is available and thus should
enable transparency or not. The --notransparency option seems redundant
in most cases.

For the --force-transparency, here is the corresponding commit :

     commit f06e3bf358d3791f08533aaad9e91fd8e5fee7a6
     Author: Robert Knight <robertknight at gmail.com>
     Date:   3 years, 11 months ago

         Add a command-line option --force-transparency which enables
support for transparency even if no compositing manager is running when
Konsole is started.

         BUG: 162333

Its purpose is good, but if my observation is correct, it does not work
as intended since konsole 2.6.2 or maybe even earlier . The more
important fact is I didn't find any bug report for this non-working
option. That is a good implication that this --force-transparency is
seldom used.

So to sum up:

     *  Drop --notransparency(moderate suggestion)
     *  Drop --force-transparency(strong suggestion)

Regards
Jekyll