[Konsole-devel] Some thoughts about bell in KDE4 konsole

Jekyll Wu adaptee at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 14:58:33 UTC 2012

The KDE4 kosole provides only one choice(system notification) for
bell, while KDE3 konsole provided multiple choices(system
notification, beep, visual bell).  Some users miss those lost choices,
especially the 'beep'.

Bug 177861 - Allow users using system beep for bell
Bug 155622 - Allow users using "visual bell" as in KDE3 konsole
Bug 165193 - Add visual indicator on the tab in which the bell just
happened

Here are my thoughts about those choices.

1. beep

Frankly, I don't quite understand why some users find that beep
helpful or friendly :(   It just feel noisy.  Of course, it is useful
for providing feedback on tab-completion in the shell, but it is still
noisy. Another bad thing of a "audio bell" is that it only tells you
"something has happened", but it is so short and does not provide any
information about "in where that something has happened". So when a
bell is emitted in an inactive tab, I will hear a noisy beep but have
no idea what exactly has happened and where to find it.

2. visual bell

I don't get it, either. What it does is just flashing the terminal
area for a short time. I would say that visual effect or glitch is
even more boring and confusing than the noisy beep. For bells in
inactive tab, the visual bell is just useless.

3. system notification

This is better. It can take multiple actions for one bell, and the
effects may last longer. It even could provide some context
information in the popup message for where the bell comes from. I
think choosing it as the default(since it is the only choice) in KDE4
kosole is really a good idea.

4. "icon bell"

I mean the feature in KDE3 konsole that when a bell is emitted, the
icon of the corresponding tab is changed. It provides good context
information, especially for bell in inactive tab. I like this lost
feature.

Well, what should we do ?

The codes for beep and visual bell are still there and seems still
working. They are just never used.

My current idea is to add a new option for bell in profile, but don't
provide GUI elements for configuring that option. So we make it a
hidden option. That will hide the complexity of choice for average
users and keep the interface clean, but still allows power users to
choose their favorites.

Any idea?

Regards
Jekyll