[Konsole-devel] Quicker and easier access to the most commonly used encodings in the konsole's popup menu.

Delian delian66 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 17:48:11 UTC 2011

Hello everyone.

In my daily work, I often have to work with 2 encodings exclusively: utf8
and cp 1251 (also known as windows-1251). Both these encodings are very
popular in Bulgaria, where I am from.

I love using konsole, but the current mechanism for switching the current
encoding through the main menu or the popup context menu, became somewhat
cumbersome for me - sometimes I have to use it more than 3 times per 5
minutes, and both UTF-8 and cp 1251 are not easy to be selected quickly
using the default Encoding selector widget in KDE.

Today, I've finally decided to bite the bullet, and dive into the konsole's
source. The result looks like this:
( https://github.com/spytheman/konsole/wiki )
[image: proposal_for_konsole_context_menu_quick_encoding_switching_01.png]

I suspect that as it is, it is not very suitable for generic usage (since
it requires code changes and recompiling in order to change the shown
encodings, and I highly doubt that everyone has my preferences for them).
However, it is a start, and I would be happy to discuss how it can be
generalized... Possibly a second 'default2' encoding can be added to the
Advanced tab of the profile editor, and then the popup menu would offer the
2 defaults with their names, instead of the hardcoded windows-1251 and utf8
???

I'm new to KDE development and Konsole in particular, so instead of sending
patches as described here:
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Git/Create_a_patch , I've
created a forked version on github.
Here are the changes so far:
https://github.com/spytheman/konsole/compare/master...quickly_switch_encoding_in_popupmenu

I'm looking forward to your suggestions, comments, flames :-)
Delian Angelov