[Konsole-devel] recent konsole regressions?

Sascha Peilicke sasch.pe at gmx.de
Sun May 9 19:41:28 UTC 2010

> Hi Sascha, Kurt
>
> I know that you did post these changes on ReviewBoard earlier and I
> should have given feedback on them then, so apologies for the late
> feedback.  I'll try to follow up earlier in future.
>
> * The reason for having an 'Edit Current Profile' action in the
> Settings menu previously was that a large number of Konsole users only
> have one profile, so forcing them to go through the 'Manage Profiles'
> dialog is unnecessary hassle.  Though this action is present in the
> right-click context menu I think it should also be available via the
> Settings menu.
Ideally, we would have some proper KConfigXT-based config dialog like _all_ the other KDE apps instead of a bunch of custom dialogs. Currently there is no real distinction between app-wide settings and session-only settings. Then there is the not really orthogonal profile concept which is quite prominent in the settings dialogs even if you don't use the feature. My thought is that having a menu action for each and every feature that Konsole provides is actually some sort of workaround around all those dialogs. I hope to find a solution here, maybe it's something for 4.6.

> * The change in the 'new tab' shortcut is something I'm not sure
> about.  The reason for going with 'Ctrl+Shift+N' originally, as
> opposed to Ctrl+Shift+T was partly because I think of a 'new tab' as
> being analogous to a 'new document' in a document-based application
> but also because of the way the keys are laid out on a QWERTY keyboard
> which makes 'Ctrl+Shift+N' slightly easier to type (Ctrl+Shift pressed
> with left hand, 'N' with right hand, as opposed to Ctrl+Shift+T all
> pressed with left hand).  On the flip side, as you mentioned, this is
> inconsistent with other applications.  Similar logic around ease of
> reaching the keys explains why the default tab-switching shortcut was
> originally Shift+Left/Right arrow rather than Ctrl+PageUp/PageDown
> (although the later was added as an alternate shortcut).
As some others mentioned in the comments of my blog post, these decisions are all debatable as they have pros and cons. I'd say we stick to the standards that are currently set by the majority of apps. If usability decides that there will be a better way we can still adopt to that.

Nonetheless we could also ship another shortcuts setup with the old ones if desired.
--
Sascha Peilicke
http://saschpe.wordpress.com