[Konsole-devel] [Bug 223172] New: copy-pasting from scrollback buffer appends spaces at end of line
kde at kde.lka.org.lu
Sun Jan 17 16:58:14 UTC 2010
Summary: copy-pasting from scrollback buffer appends spaces at
end of line
AssignedTo: konsole-devel at kde.org
ReportedBy: kde at kde.lka.org.lu
Version: 2.2.3 (using 4.2.4 (KDE 4.2.4), Kubuntu packages)
OS: Linux (x86_64) release 2.6.28-17-generic
When selecting a line which has scrolled off-screen, copy-pasting often appends
a number of spaces to line.
How to reproduce:
1. In a shell, type "echo test"
2. You should see the following:
> echo test
3. Copy-paste both lines elsewhere (for example into an emacs)
4. Check the length of the pasted lines (for example, by moving into the line
in your emacs, and then typing End, and see where the cursor ends up) => lines
5. Now, in konsole, type <Enter> often enough to make both lines scroll off
6. Use the scrollbar to bring them back into visibility.
7. Copy-paste them again into emacs
8. Now, the second line ("test") has enough spaces appended to make it as long
as the preceding line ("> echo test")
Some tests with different commands show that the number of spaces depends on
previously output lines of same shell command: there are always enough extra
spaces added to make the pasted line as long as the longest preceding line of
the same command (tested using head /etc/passwd).
It's weird how the bug only "takes into account" the lines making up the
current command (command itself + any output), and seems to be reset for the
Some further test showed that:
1. It can't be fooled neither with sleep's in the command, nor echo -n '> '
2. It does seem to depend on the shell used: it resets the current maximum
length between commands in zsh, but not in bash
3. It behaves the same, no matter whether it's the shell launched directly by
konsole, or a subshell. Weird stuff...
Configure bugmail: https://bugs.kde.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=email
------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
You are the assignee for the bug.
More information about the konsole-devel