[Konsole-devel] KDE 4 Konsole DBus works -- security objections, privilege escalation possible

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Wed May 6 11:54:27 UTC 2009

> I think current konsole development - as far as I followed it - tends to
> throw away any given system/platform dependend hack

The main motivation for keeping the amount of platform specific code
small is the assumption that the Qt engineers are better at dealing
with all the platform-specific quirks and behaviors than we are.  Have
a look at the kpty code for examples of the kind of #ifdef-mania I'm
glad we don't have to touch too often.  It is not because there is a
principal that we should treat all shells and platforms equally.  If
program-specific integration would add useful benefits, I'd be open to
that. Meanwhile, I also recognize that users' shell setups are quite
diverse and they would be upset if theirs didn't work at least as well
as it does in xterm.

Regards,
Robert.