[Konsole-devel] konsole and configuration sync

Michael Blakeley mike+konsole at blakeley.com
Fri Jun 5 16:33:12 UTC 2009

I'm new to the list, so I apologize in advance for any breaches of
etiquette. This will seem like a bug report at first, but I'm really
asking a question about the SessionManager code.

For some time I've noticed that konsole in my environment would not
remember any shortcuts assigned to profiles (most recently with
4:4.2.85-0ubuntu1~jaunty1~ppa8, but also with earlier KDE4 builds). I
can assign a shortcut via Settings > Manage Profiles, and it works for
the duration of my session. But the next time I start a konsole session,
the shortcut is gone. I don't have any problems with Settings >
Configure Shortcuts, though.
http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3104300.0 may also be
related.

Before reporting a bug, I wanted to characterize this issue more
precisely. This led me to SessionManager::saveShortcuts() - I was trying
to figure out where the changes should be written, so I could inspect
the appropriate filesystem location. I'm less than expert in the KDE and
Qt APIs, but the implementation I see at
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/KDE/kdebase/apps/konsole/src/SessionManager.cpp?view=markup
leads me to ask this question: shouldn't SessionManager::saveShortcuts()
call shortcutGroup.sync() after it finishes writing the new entries?

The discussion at http://markmail.org/message/ow3xxvabgrebvnmi suggests
that changes via writeEntry() will be lost unless sync() is also called.
In fact I can't find a call to sync() anywhere in the konsole code
(http://lxr.kde.org/search?filestring=apps%2Fkonsole&string=sync). That
probably means I don't understand how the config APIs work, or perhaps
I'm looking at the wrong code. Can anyone on the list offer some insight?

thanks,
-- Mike