[Konsole-devel] Odd konsole behavior

Robert Knight robertknight at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 09:45:23 UTC 2009

> However, once the listing terminates, there is no text of the 'ls'
> command on the terminal.  It all gets cleared out

Less output is displayed on the 'alternate screen' by default and when
less closes, the terminal switches back to the 'primary screen'.  This
behavior in less depends on the value of the environment variable TERM

In Konsole it is set to 'xterm' by default, resulting in the alternate
screen being used for less, vim etc.  If you set TERM to 'linux' I
think you'll get the behavior you expect.

I'm not sure how environment variables are set in ksh but in bash this would be:

export TERM=linux

There is an option to change the default value for TERM in Settings ->
Configure Konsole from the menu bar.  I'm not sure which tab this
setting is on.  In KDE 4 (Konsole 2.x) you can change this by going to
Settings -> Edit Current Profile and on the 'General' tab click the
'Edit...' button next to the 'Environment' label.

Regards,
Robert.