[Konsole-devel] Konsole + DCOP + DBus

Tom K. tomkcpr at rogers.com
Thu Dec 4 05:31:50 UTC 2008

Has the old code for accessing DCOP been removed from current Konsole
code?  The old change log

http://www.kde.org/announcements/changelogs/changelog2_2_2to3_0.php

has

Konsole: DCOP interface, sets environment variables KONSOLE_DCOP &
KONSOLE_DCOP_SESSION

however no mention that this has been removed.  Checking out and looking
through svn, appears the old DCOP code has been removed.

Reenabling the dcop server after upgrading to Fedora 9 and KDE 4.x, I do
notice some of the old apps connect to it now but konsole does not
suggesting the old code for DCOP has been removed from konsole.  Some
things I've tried:

declare -x KONSOLE_DCOP_SESSION="DCOPRef("`ps ax|grep
/usr/bin/konsole|egrep -v grep|awk '{ print "konsole-"$1
}'`",session-"`echo $KONSOLE_DBUS_SESSION|sed -e "s/[^0-9]//g"`")"

declare -x KONSOLE_DCOP="DCOPRef("`ps ax|grep /usr/bin/konsole|egrep -v
grep|awk '{ print "konsole-"$1 }'`",konsole)"

export KONSOLE_DCOP_SESSION KONSOLE_DCOP

yielding

KONSOLE_DCOP=DCOPRef(konsole-2935,konsole)
KONSOLE_DCOP_SESSION=DCOPRef(konsole-2935,session-6)

but of course since these entries no longer appear in the code, the
above doesn't work and produced one of:

call failed
object not accessible

I'm aware others are looking to write code for dbus.  Would reenabling
the old dcop code be easier and provide for some backwards compatability
for everyone who has already scripted their konsole using the old dcop
interface while the dbus code is being worked on?  Thoughts?

Kind Regards,
Tom