[Konsole-devel] konsole kpart

Giacomo delleceste at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 12:32:20 UTC 2007

2007/10/3, Robert Knight <robertknight at gmail.com>:
> > which does the same amout of printf() calls and
> > has the same logic, consumes much more CPU (3,4,5% ).
>
> If you are printing a lot of messages to the terminal then there will
> be a certain overhead caused by the output processing and text
> rendering.  I would expect the overhead to be very low unless you are
> printing a very large number of messages.

Yes there is a lot of messages to print out on the console, but this application
has not been changed when embedded into a KonsolePart.
This is the reason why i was wondering why such a greater usage of CPU when
i switched to a KonsolePart.
I mean, the application i monitor on the konsole KPart is the same i ran into
a console Konsole alone, i.e. the same executable started with

konsole_part->startProgram("program_name");

Thank you anyway,

Giacomo

> What exactly are these messages in any case?
>
> > Is this an issue related to overload caused by embedding Konsole in a KPart?
> > Can i improve the performance of my Application?
>
> Please don't try and guess where your application's performance
> problems lie.  Use a profiling tool.  I recommend callgrind, which is
> part of the valgrind suite.  kcachegrind can then be used to view and
> analyse the results.  After installing valgrind, it can be used like
> so:
>
> valgrind --tool=calllgrind yourapplication 2> logfile.out
>
> ... use your application as normal for a short while and then close it ...
>
> kcachegrind logfile.out
>
> This will give you a much more detailed analysis of where your
> application is spending its CPU cycles.  If it turns out that a lot of
> time is being spent in the Konsole part then please post the callgrind
> log to this list.  It might be too large to post as an attachment
> however.
>
> Regards,
> Robert.
>
> On 03/10/2007, Giacomo <delleceste at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Good morning to all.
> >
> > I used to have a program running on the console (konsole) and now i am
> > porting it to a Qt4 (KDE4) application.
> > The part of the program which used to print out messages on the console,
> > has been embedded in a Konsole KPart.
> >
> > The issue is that, while when it was a console application it used to consume
> > a little percentage of the CPU (< 1% on the peaks of the printf() calls ),
> > now the _same_ application, which does the same amout of printf() calls and
> > has the same logic, consumes much more CPU (3,4,5% ).
> >
> > Is this an issue related to overload caused by embedding Konsole in a KPart?
> > Can i improve the performance of my Application?
> > Or is it a price to pay to embed a console application into a Konsole KPart?
> > Or is it because i have a alpha version of KDE4?
> >

> > Thank you for any advice.
> >

> > --
> > Giacomo S.
> > http://www.giacomos.it
> >
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> >
> > IPFIREwall (http://www.giacomos.it/ipfire) viene presentato
> > all'Universita` degli Studi di Udine, il 28 ottobre, in occasione del
> > Linux Day 2006:
> > http://iglu.cc.uniud.it/linuxday

Giacomo S.
http://www.giacomos.it

IPFIREwall (http://www.giacomos.it/ipfire) viene presentato
all'Universita` degli Studi di Udine, il 28 ottobre, in occasione del
Linux Day 2006:
http://iglu.cc.uniud.it/linuxday

 . ''  `.
 `.  ` '
    `- Debian GNU/Linux -- The power of freedom
        http://www.debian.org