[Konsole-devel] escape sequences to control encoding, and to query encoding

Yakov Lerner iler.ml at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 23:11:44 UTC 2006

On 12/4/06, Robert Knight <robertknight at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you know the escape sequence used by other terminals for querying /
> setting encoding or better, if there is any official 'standard'
> sequence which is supported by at least one other terminal that could
> be used for this?

Hello Robert,
urxvt has escape sequence to query and change urxvt's locale.
However, it is different because it affects urxvt's locale *and*
encoding of all urxvt tabs [1]. Urxvt's sequence seems to me
urxvt-specific and not coming from any "standard". I did not find
anything else.

Yakov

[1] urxvt reference has [2]:

  "ESC ] Ps;Pt ST"
  Ps = 701   Change current locale to Pt, or,
                if Pt is ?, return the current locale (Compile frills).
  # change the locale and tell rxvt-unicode about it
          export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.EUC-JP; printf "\33]701;$LC_CTYPE\007"

[2] 'man 7 urxvt' or http://www.penguin-soft.com/penguin/man/7/urxvt.html