[Konsole-devel] Konsole usability enhancements.

Luis Quintela Garcia luis_QU at web.de
Fri Aug 11 17:59:25 UTC 2006

Hi Robert,
many thanks you for your speedy answer. I believe, that I didn't
express my idea clearly enough. I propose a feature, which should
improve the learn-ability of the shell. The "workflow" project you
mentioned works in order to bring the power of the shell to the users
through GUIs. On the other hand the "fish" project has been developed
as an alternative shell, whilst "bash" is a widespread standard.

Surely the average user doesn't need to use a shell on his PC. I
agree, that the shell is intended for technical work, providing a
powerfully interface for UNIX. Further I believe that the Konsole
doesn´t need any great enhancement in this way. UNIX shells offer a
great technical quality and needless to say it can be argued, that
only for this reason the shell will continue to play an important role.

But there is the social aspect of the technology. Obviously in a GUI
dominated world it is hardly surprising that up and coming computer
experts turn to GUIs. I think that only a few students of computer
science can use the shell properly. But they are the future experts.
Let me present an example which I experienced during my studies. A
professor asked a group of approximately 100 third year students:
"How  many of you know about the pipes of the UNIX shell?" Only 10
students had heard of this. The professor then commented that only a
few years ago this situation would have been unthinkable.

However I believe that a limited number of shell programers could
significantly hinder the progress of UNIX systems.

I am under no illusions that my feature is the final solution for
this problem. I'm simply interested in looking for a possible way to
improve the learn-ability of the shell.

I would be very grateful for any further thought.

Regards,
Luis.