[Konsole-devel] Konsole : Remote host executing local functions

Kurt V. Hindenburg kurt.hindenburg at kdemail.net
Tue Sep 6 20:01:38 UTC 2005

On Sunday 28 August 2005 18:12, Tony Gravagno wrote:
| Hi Kurt, I'm the "Daneel O" that sent you the note from sneakemail.  Thanks
| for your response to my inquiry in the forum.  In my market we use a
| commercial product called AccuTerm which is a Win32-based emulator with
| loads of features.  See:
| http://www.asent.com/products.asp
| That page profiles the newer Windows-like L&F which dresses up boring
| character-based apps.  (Click the View button to see the Features.)  There
| are thousands of users of this software around the world, and they start to
| look at the Linux desktop they are hoping to find similar features.  A
| usenet discussion was started by someone looking for AccuTerm-like features
| from Linux, and that's what prompted my inquiry about Konsole.
|
| While you indicate that driving a localhost from a remote host is not
| already in Konsole, it seems to me that it would be pretty easy to make
| this happen.  I've provided a link to my notes on this here:
| http://tinyurl.com/7ffrq  You can read up from that thread to see how this
| subject unfolded.
|
| I will propose to you that there might be people willing to fund your time
| and development effort if you or a couple of your trusted colleagues are
| willing to make some of the changes indicated.  I am prepared to serve as
| liaison to manage the process.  Part of my business is forging strategic
| relationships like this that allow people to get what they want when they
| otherwise don't see a way to do it - this is a perfect example.  There's no
| reason why open source software should go unfunded as purely a labor of
| love.  The resulting code will of course remain GPL/OSS for anyone who
| wants it.  It can be added to the standard code base or it can fork to a
| separate open source repository so that existing Konsole users don't feel
| vulnerable to trojans from untrusted servers.  But for those who want the
| features bad enough, I think they're going to have to commission the
| development effort and subsequent support, or they simply won't get what
| they want.
|
| Any comments or questions are welcome.  If you aren't interested I can find
| another Linux developer, but I figured it would be appropriate to give you
| first shot.

Hello,
  Sorry for the delay in responding.  The timing is a little unfortunate in
that KDE 3.5 is in feature freeze and the main goal now is to get KDE4 out.
If someone adds the features you want to the 3.x branch, it may not easily be
added to the 4.x.  On the other hand KDE4 is not to be out for sometime (1+
years).
I personally have no interest in working on this issue with KDE 3.x.  Konsole
needs a lot of week for KDE4 which I hope I (and others) can get to.  There
are very few others who work on Konsole.
I'm rather new to the KDE technologies (and new Qt4/KDE4) and am perhaps not
the best source for advise on this issue.  I do wonder if dbus could be used
somehow.
Currently I don't have a MS Window system to try out AccuTerm.
You might try to post a clear and consist email to kde-devel mailing list and
see if you get any replies/suggestions.
  Regards,
     Kurt